We are so focused on the complexity of life, the negative side of everything, the many things we have to do every day, the worries and fears that go with them, that we forget the beautiful aspects of the world we live in.
We feel so good and peaceful once we’re reminded that all bad things pass to make room for something better, that love does exist and has many forms, that compassion and forgiveness are the ultimate salvation and the path to freedom.
And once we remember these simple truths, we open our eyes to the happiness and contentment that can be found in the present moment, the peace that is everywhere around us, the inspiration, simplicity and reasons to smile.
Here are some wise words from Buddha you can read every time you feel upset that will bring back the hope, peace and joy you need:
25 Inspiring Quotes from Buddha to Live By
1. Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
2. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
3. Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.
4. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
5. Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue.
6. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
7. Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
8. Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.
9. You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.
10. Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
11. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
12. Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.
13. You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.
14. Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
15. However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?
16. When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.
17. If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
18. Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.
19. There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.
20. Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.
21. The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.
22. Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.
23. The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.
24. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
25. When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky.
Can you find meaning in these words? How do they make you feel?
Add other Buddha quotes on love, happiness and peace you like in the comments below.