There is always a way to make and save money if you’re on the lookout.
People are getting paid to do things you wouldn’t honestly believe. It could be getting paid to go shopping, test ice creams, being a professional mourner, etc.
However, there are pretty tremendous ways to make money in the garden business too. That yard you’ve put so much work into can bring you extra cash.
How to Make Money from Your Garden
Have a look at 10 ways on how you can earn money gardening:
1. Online Garden Business
The internet is a great platform to market your garden business. The opportunities are just immense. All you need to do is pick one and run with it.
Some of them include:
- Starting a gardening blog – You could write tips and ideas on how to do gardening at home. Why not share them and make money doing it?
- Seed testing / reviews – Most companies always create new and different seeds time and again. They, therefore, pay people to try out their products and give them a report. What’s stopping you from becoming that person?
- Take garden pictures and sell them – There are photo websites that pay you for such photos. You’ll, however, need to invest in a good camera or smartphone with a great camera.
2. Rent Your Garden
Outdoors events are getting more and more popular by the day and are yet another way to make money from your garden. Why not try it out if you have a sizeable yard?
You could rent your garden for:
- Garden Weddings – Most people are opting for garden weddings nowadays. Remember that your garden needs to be as neat as a new pin. You should also consider taking out liability insurance in case of any accidents.
- Picture Taking – You can turn your backyard into a beautiful place where people take professional photos. It could be for graduations, weddings or just for family. You could partner with a photographer for a photo package.
- Garden parties – Rent out your patio and let people connect with nature.
- Workout Classes – Sometimes, people need to move around or workout when the sun is coming up. Why not rent out your beautiful garden for workouts, yoga or Zumba classes.
3. Selling Opportunities
The list is endless. You can choose a gardening business plan that best suits you.
To make money from your garden, you can do the following:
- Sell seeds – You can start a home gardening business where you sell organic seeds. You will quickly realize people like unique, rare and weird things.
- Sell cut flowers – You would be astounded at how many people make money growing flowers. However, this gardening business plan needs a lot of planning.
- Plant business ideas – It could be flowers, perennial cuttings, baby trees, etc. All these plants sell well, you just need to put a sign out front or advertise them online, and you’re in business.
- Selling dried herb mixes – People do love homemade herb concoctions. You can start your garden business from home. Just collect your garden herbs, dry them and mix up different herbs. Come up with something delicious and give it a fancy name. You would be surprised at how quickly you become a household name.
4. Throw Your Parties
It is an ideal home gardening business that can make you tons of money. If your yard is big, why not share with others your pride and joy.
You could throw:
- Garden Dinners – If you love having parties, this is a garden business that can make you money. With just enough effort, garden dinners can become very successful. You can go big with caterers, waiters, music, and lighting or do a small intimate party.
- Garden Fair – Once a year, you can do a yard fair where people from your community sell their produce, seeds or plants. You can have a booth where you teach the locals on how to have a successful garden. Also, you can charge them for renting space for their stands. Although it requires meticulous planning, once you get the hang of it, the returns are worth it.
5. Keeping Livestock
Keeping livestock is a famous garden business people are adapting.
You can keep poultry, ducks, chicken, quails as another way of earning extra cash from your garden.
6. Hire Out Your Garden as Allotments
Some people would love to get into a patio business, but they don’t have the resources. This is where you come in the picture and how you can make money from your garden.
Hire out your garden to individuals as allotments. It works well with a back or side access to the backyard.
7. Bee Keeping
It is a popular home gardening business. Bees are easy to manage, and with hive harvesting of honey, it is a sure method to make a profit.
Maintaining beehives in your garden can be both environmentally friendly and profitable. Bees help pollinate your plants while producing honey. Sell your honey locally, and you might even consider producing beeswax products or offering beekeeping workshops to supplement your income.
However, have proper communication with your immediate neighbors before you start.
8. Garden tours
You can open your greenhouse for the local people in your area and teach them different plant business ideas. You can organize with schools to have schools field trips take place on your patio. You can educate them on how to be a good gardener, start a nursery business, etc.
9. Garden classes
You can start classes on gardening topics. It could be how to start an organic garden, plant pots, water system, etc. Just advertise yourself well, and watch the number grow in masses.
10. Sell and deliver flowers
The final way to make money from your garden in this list is to sell and deliver flowers.
Flowers are among the most sought-after garden products. Whether for special occasions or everyday decoration, that’s always in demand and people want to get flowers delivered.
Plant a diverse range of flowers that bloom at different times of the year. This ensures a consistent supply for your customers.
Create a website or use social media platforms to showcase your flowers and their availability. Include high-quality images and detailed descriptions to attract potential buyers.
Providing delivery services can set you apart from the competition. Many customers appreciate the convenience of having fresh flowers delivered to their doorstep.
You can also collaborate with local florists, event planners, or wedding venues to supply flowers for their floral arrangements. Establishing business relationships can lead to recurring sales.
Many people keep gardens for fun…it might be just a hobby to keep them busy or just something that they enjoy doing. But you can go the extra mile and turn your garden into a business.
Find out which of these 8 ways to make money from your garden interests you and what you are good at, and you might amaze yourself when you end up with a gardening company.
About The Author
Tommy Rosenfield is a freelance writer and tutor. He studied journalism at New York University. Also, he loves gardening, camping, and healthy living. Now, as a dad of two, he is constantly on the lookout for tips and tricks to make life easier and spend more time with his family. He writes a lot about gardens and the household on his blog ResumeWriterReview.